Please be aware that the Learning Center is only responsible for the safety of children in the classroom; parents or the children themselves are in charge in between classes and when children do not have class.
We do not take roll in our classes since it is the parent’s or child’s responsibility to make sure that they get there. Be sure you have filled out the emergency consent form that’s part of the registration packet.
Illness: Although any public area increases exposure to germs, we ask that you be responsible by not bringing sick children to the Learning Center. Colds are unavoidable, but children with fevers, severe cough, or any infectious diseases should remain at home. A child with flu-like illness (fever and a cough) should stay home from class for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever, without the use of fever-reducing medicine.
Inclement Weather: An email will be sent out by 8am if classes will not meet. Typically we follow the lead of the Omaha Public Schools.
Deposits and Class Fees are not refundable.
Cancelled Classes: In the event that a class is cancelled (due to teacher illness, etc.), the Learning Center will extend the class one extra week.
CODE OF CONDUCT
We are the grateful guests of Southwest Church; disruptive behavior endangers the continued existence of the Learning Center. As our size has increased, so have our discipline problems. Therefore, we are implementing a new discipline policy that will take effect in the fall semester of 2017.
1. All parents and students must be familiar with the Code of Conduct. Students will not be allowed to attend classes until their family has signed and submitted this Code of Conduct. (Electronic submission is acceptable.)
2. First violations of the Code of Conduct will result in an email, which must be replied to by the parent. Students will not be allowed to attend classes if no reply is received.
3. Second violations of the Code of Conduct will result in the student loss of privileges for two weeks. During that time, students will be assigned a designated seat for all times that the student is not in class. Parents will receive and must reply to an email. Students will not be allowed to attend classes if no reply is received.
4. Third violations of the Code of Conduct will result in
a) a parent-student conference at 9am or 3pm with a Learning Center administrator. No student will be admitted to class until they have attended this conference.
b) a $20 fee
c) student loss of privileges for four weeks. During that time, students will be assigned a designated seat for all times that the student is not in class.
5. Fourth violations of the Code of Conduct may result in suspension or expulsion. Tuition will not be refunded for class time that is missed due to disciplinary action.
Note: Egregious violations that are deemed particularly grave may result in immediate suspension or expulsion without following standard protocol.
Be aware that the Learning Center is only responsible for the safety of children in the classroom; parents or the children themselves are responsible at all other times. Classes may end before the scheduled time on occasion. Please instruct your children to remain in the classroom if you would like to pick them up.
1. Respect all people and property at the Learning Center.
–Immediately report any spills, mars, or other damage done to the building.
–Clean up after yourself, picking up any trash, etc.
–Do not touch or use any church materials or displays.
–Outdoor property must be respected as well: no climbing on trees or playing in bushes.
2. Avoid conversation in the lobby out of respect for church office workers. People should never gather there to talk. Everyone seated in the lobby chairs should be silent. We will make an exception for the ten minutes of passing between classes.
3. No one should gather in the outdoors area outside of the stairs. (This is to the right of the main doors, on the way to the playground; it’s the sidewalk that leads up to the outside door for the second floor and lower level.)
4. Dress Code (for moms, too). Students whose clothing does not meet this policy may change or use sweatshirts and sweatpants that we will provide.
–Leggings and tights are not considered pants; it is not appropriate to wear a long top with leggings or tights.
–No tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, spandex, muscle shirts, bare backs, immodest necklines, etc.
–Midriff should not show when standing or sitting.
–Shoulder straps should be at least two fingers wide.
–Skirts and shorts should be an appropriate length: skirts should be an inch or so above the knee, even if leggings, tights, or shorts are worn. Shorts (including athletic shorts) should come down just past the fingertips when arms are at the side, even if leggings are worn.
5. Students must attend all classes that they are registered for and should not skip or be tardy. Parents must notify the Learning Center if their child will not attend a particular class (although no notification is necessary for whole day absences or early departures.)
6. No running, horseplay, or loud voices in the hallways.
7. No open drink containers are allowed outside of the Moms’ Room. Drinks should never be left unattended; immediately report spills. No red or orange drinks allowed, whether in closed containers or not.
8. Students must obey all adults and address them with respect. Respect other students (no name calling, taunting, etc.).
9. No unsupervised boy-girl alone time.
10. No fundraising or other sales.
11. No gambling.
12. No profanity or vulgar language or gestures.
13. No use of tobacco products including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products (such as chewing tobacco), and e-cigarettes or vapes is permitted within the facilities or on or in view of the property of the Southwest Church at any time. Students are likewise forbidden to use these products off-campus if they are between classes or in the company of Learning Center students who are between classes. Violators will face expulsion.